Dr. Thomas & Isaac Goodsell House
The home at 471 Amity Road is a five-bay,
ridge-to-street colonial house with a slightly off-center chimney. Additions
include a small recessed wing on the south elevation, a two-story bay on the north,
and a rear ell which joins to an open porch. The Greek Revival-style portico of
the main doorway is now enclosed. It has a hipped roof, paneled posts with
capitals that now serve as pilasters, and five-paned sidelights. Similar posts
are found on the rear porch and are joined by arched spandrels. The 6-over- 1
windows of the facade are grouped in pairs on either side of the doorway.
According to a historic photograph, other changes to the house since about 1910
include the removal of two hipped dormers from the main roof. Interior features
include exposed oak beams and an eight-foot fireplace with a Dutch oven in the
present living room.
A large late 19th
century carriage house is located just to the northeast of the main home. The
carriage house contains an apartment with five rooms and one bath. The apartment
has been rented to various third parties since before 1942. The carriage
house has a high bay garage that was used to garage carriages and can hold
three to five automobiles plus storage. A later addition includes a one car
garage and a livestock stable, making this an ideal property for raising horses.
A large high bay loft spans the entire second story of the main part of the
carriage house. The carriage house has a partial walk-out basement on
the south side.